Another First Impressions post, but this time with a variety of new headphones and in-ears!
ZMF Aeolus Ziricote Limited
Courtesy loaner from Darthpool.
- Beautiful wood piece. Brass grill and hardware.
- Balanced sound with Universal Perforated Suede pads.
- With Universal Perforated Leather, it's very bassy and bright. V-shape.
- A tad heavy in this form.
Thieaudio Phantom Planar Magnetic Headphone
- Nice lightweight build
- Headband is functional, despite being ugly
- Stock pads are shallow and not really my thing. Remind me of Hifiman Velour pads but softer.
- Stock tuning is very dark. Bass doesn't extend to subbass well, mids are recessed and missing, and treble is also missing. Very dark. Not really happy with it.
- Removing the pads reveals a THICK foam layer covering the driver!!
- Removing this foam layer brings back mids and vocals and starting to sound better.
- Pad changes to literally anything else (I tried several ZMF, brainwavz and Dekoni pads), makes treble and mids more present and much more balanced and closer to a good neutral tuning.
- Modding is required for this one -- once modded, reminds me of Hifiman Sundara
- Warm balanced tuning
- Cable is still same as other TRN IEM packaged cables
- Has a treble peak that may be fatiguing
- Slight V-shape
- Pretty much same tuning as TRN V90, but less peaky treble
- Still bright for me, however
- Fit is rather shallow and doesn't really work well for me.
- Nice mirror finish
KB Ear Hi 7
Provided by KB Ear
- Semi-open back shell
- Looks kind of weird, but some like it
- More of Diffuse Field tuning with a little warmth and punchiness
- Decent detail due to boosted upper mid-range and treble